Thursday, April 12, 2012

Book Review: The Peculiars

The Peculiars by Maureen Doyle McQuerry
Publisher:  Amulet Books
Release Date:  May 1, 2012


I must say that I don't fully understand the genre of "Steampunk" and did not have very high hopes for The Peculiars because of it. Shame on me for judging a genre for not fully understanding it! I now know of at least one steampunk book that I like- and it's The Peculiars!

Lena is a different girl, living in a late 1800's world, where people like her are ostracized from society. Abanonded by her father at a young age, strange young Lena receives a letter from him, and sets off on a wild adventure to the land of Scree. Scree is inhabited by "peculiars" who are people that have genetic abnormalities such as wings, goblinism, etc. Leaving behind her grandmother and mother, Lena boards a train to find out who she is, and meets a new friend along the way- Jimson.

Jimson a young aspiring librarian who has no formal training, is traveling to his new position as librarian of a private library.  Not far from their destination, trouble boards the train: a prisoner escapes, Lena's purse is stolen, AND she meets young marshal Thomas Saltre who knew her father!

Now, because I don't want to ruin the whole book for you, I will summarize the rest of the story as best I can without any spoilers!

After reaching their destination, Lena and Jimson go their separate ways, only to end up reunited a few days later at the Zephyr House (owned by Mr. Beasely, Jimson's employer). Lena takes a position as Jimson's assistant,  and from there, adventure, murder, romance, and intrigue ensue.

I thoroughly enjoyed The Peculiars, though I will admit that it took me a little while to get into the book. Once I did though, I couldn't put it down! I loved the characters- I'm probably biased though, because I want to be a librarian. The dialogue was witty, the story was well paced, and the steampunk was integrated beautifully! Overall, I would recommend this to anyone experimenting with the Steampunk genre, or anyone looking for a good adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment