Thursday, April 5, 2012

Kill Me Softly Book Review

Kill Me Softly
by Sarah Cross
Publication date: April 10, 2012 from Egmont USA

HOORAY, this is my first official book review! I was lucky enough to receive this as an advance copy in e-book form-exciting right? So without further ado, here is my review :)

Kill Me Softly has adventure, romance, magic, and a fresh, modern interpretation of traditional fairy tales. It is a great read for fairy tale fans of all ages. 

When Mira runs away to her hometown of Beau Rivage, she gets way more than she bargained for. Soon after beginning her search for her parents graves, Mira realizes there is more to Beau Rivage than meets the eye. Determined to unravel the secrets of her past and present, Mira must embrace her destiny to ensure her future. 

As a heroine, Mira is admirable because of how dedicated she is to figuring out exactly who she is. She is also extremely infuriating due to her poor choice in boyfriends resulting in a perfunctory love triangle. As far as the supporting characters are concerned, I would've preferred they be developed a bit more, because I found them interesting. The story itself was well paced, and suspenseful making for a page turning read. 

 An adventurous coming of age story, Kill Me Softly will appeal to teens everywhere as they go with Mira on her adventure to find herself. I think it will also appeal heavily to fans of the television show "Once Upon a Time." The similarities are numerous, and I couldn't help but compare the two the entire time I was reading it. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed Kill Me Softly. Though the concept of fairy tale retellings is not new, author Sarah Cross manages to bring a breath of fresh air to a popular genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment