Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Tales of Survival: These might come in handy!

So as some of you may know, I live in Dallas, and we had a pretty scary day today. At about 1:30 this afternoon we had to evacuate our entire library and have all our patrons come into the basement, in the event of a tornado. The tornadoes got really close to us-too close to comfort! However, I did get to be stuck in a basement with lots of librarians, which led to a discussion of how everyone wanted to be stuck with me because I could take care of them.

Let me elaborate- my entire life I have been certain that I will eventually be stranded somewhere and need to survive. After I read Hatchet by Gary Paulsen, I became obsessed with hoarding pocket knives, flashlights and little baggies of food(which drove my mother crazy btw). Because I have always been paranoid of being stranded, I learned how to do lots of survival type things- like knowing where all the exits on a plane/train/automobile are, assessing what I have on my person...weirdo things like that. Regardless of my weirdness, I read as many books on the subject as I could (all fiction of course, which is kinda dumb, cause it's made up lol) and I feel like they REALLY prepared me and fueled my paranoia. I wanted to share my list of "survival fiction" with you, just in case you need to prepare yourself for survival too!

Hatchet- Gary Paulsen
Brian's Winter-Gary Paulsen
Brian's Return- Gary Paulsen
The River- Gary Paulsen
The Cay- Theodore Taylor
My Side of the Mountain- Jean Craighead George
Far Side of the Mountain- Jean Craighead George
Incident at Hawk's Hill- Allan W. Eckert
Island of the Blue Dolphins-Scott O'Dell
The Sign of the Beaver- Elizabeth George Speare

These were all I could think of off the top of my head...happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment